Sunday, May 4, 2008

Kings Who Eat Their Good Grains

Tonight my little sister asked me, "So you know Shavashti?"

"Who?" I asked.

"Shavasti."

Thinking maybe she was talking about a certain crab on The Little Mermaid, I said, "Oh, Sebastian."

"No, Shavashti...you know, the queen...and the one that saved her people?"

It took me a minute, and then I realized she was talking about Vashti in the book of Esther.

She then energetically told me all about how Esther saved her people and then stopped in mid story and said, "You know Daniel? Well, he wouldn't eat the kings food 'cause it wasn't healthy" and then she told me the story of Daniel.

I had my scriptures nearby so I started reading her the story of Esther in the Bible. As I was reading the part where Queen Vashti disobeyed the king she stopped me and said confidently...

"Well, I wouldn't obey a king who didn't eat his good grains."

I erupted with laughter. She turned to me and said quizzically, "Why's that so funny?"

Somehow she had combined Bible stories with the king in Daniel and the king in Esther.

Maybe Vashti was just sticking to her "good grains" when she got kicked out of the palace.
Who knows?!

1 comment:

lydiaruth said...

I want to meet your little sister. she sounds hilarious and adorable

Serendipity

The Oxford English dictionary describes serendipity as "the faculty of making happy and unexpected discoveries by accident. Also, the fact or an instance of such a discovery."