Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What are the Chances?!

Scene 1: In Class Today
(note: my thoughts are in italics)

I was sitting in a new class and the teacher had us get to know the person next to us.
I turn to the person next to me.
Wow, this guy is very attractive.

Him: I noticed you're left-handed. I am too.

Why am I always attracted to left-handed men? Interesting...

Him: You know, I think there is a greater population of left-handed people at BYU. In one of my classes there was a row of seven of us....

And as I got to know him, I'm thinking, Wow this guy sounds amazing! Finally, someone that is attractive and has a great personality.

I was excited. This was the first time in a long time that I actually wanted to go on a date with someone.

He kept talking and then I heard, Bla bla bla...FIANCEE...bla bla bla....

Woah. Wait a minute right there. Did he just say fiancee? Yep. Okay, keep on the smile. Keep nodding. It's happened before, it'll happen again....


Sccene 2: Flash forward one hour to Becky's apartment.
Me: Becky, I fell for someone that was engaged today in one of my classes.
Becky: Yeah, I did that too yesterday. This guy walked in the room and he was SO attractive and he came and sat by me. We got talking and then he mentioned his fiancee and I was disappointed.
Me: Yeah, it's awful.
Becky: When he walked in, I thought, I can't pass this up, so I turned to him and said, "Hey, I noticed you're left-handed and I am too."
Me: That's funny, the guy I was talking to was left-handed also.
Becky (continues on with story): And he said that he thought there was a higher population of left-handed people at BYU and that in one of his classes there was a row of 10 or 12 of them.
Me: Wow...wait a minute...I had that same conversation today. Where was he from?

We compared hometown, hair color, and name and realized...yep, we both fell for the same person.

Who was engaged.

What are the chances of that?!

Okay, for those of you who don't know BYU has 30,000 students. The chances that one person would have a class both with Becky and me are slim. The chances that that one person would sit right next to both Becky and me in those classes are even slimmer. The chances that Becky and I would have this conversation and figure out it was the same person?! Extremely slim.

But do you know what I love about this story? Becky and I both were attracted to the same guy. Which would have been a problem if he wasn't engaged, but I love how it shows that we look for similar things in guys.

I love my cousin Becky. So much. And today I realized one reason why I love her all the more!

4 comments:

Laurel said...

what's REALLY funny is that he used the same "i think there are more left-handed people at BYU" line on BOTH of you! COME ON!

I bet he's SO not engaged. And even if he is, they aren't married.

GO FOR IT! (hee.hee.)

Heidi said...

That totally makes me laugh. I guess the Lord knew he needed to get that guy engaged so that you and Becky can keep on being great cousins without any..ya know...rivalry. :) Not that I think either of you are capable of jealousy...but, ya know. I love you and Becky too!

Joyous said...

This is hilarious. :) It just shows what classy people you and Becky are. And that we shouldn't limit ourselves with statistics?

Meemer said...

that is almost creepy. but really funny.

Serendipity

The Oxford English dictionary describes serendipity as "the faculty of making happy and unexpected discoveries by accident. Also, the fact or an instance of such a discovery."