Monday, April 27, 2009

That Time of Year

It is.
That time.
When the garden is planted.

Dirt, vegetables, weeds, and bugs. My four favorite things.

But, you know, the prophet said to plant a garden...ever heard the song?
And boy does my family know it.

We have the biggest garden in the neighborhood.

Every year I tell my mom, "Shouldn't we scale it back a little this year?"
She vehemently replies, "No! This year we are going to have the best garden ever!"

I tell her we don't have to feed the whole neighborhood out of our garden.
I think she believes that we do.

I really avoid the whole garden thing. Getting up at 6 am to go weed isn't my thing. Usually I get away with staying inside and making breakfast for my family while they weed.

But you know, when I have my own house, I've decided--I will have a garden. It will look like this:


Okay, so it's not your traditional idea of a garden, but it really is a garden.
A Japanese Zen garden.

No weeds, dirt, vegetables, or bugs.
Only rocks.

You don't have to water or weed.
But you can rake--only if you want to though. For meditation.

The Japanese are brilliant.

No comments:

Serendipity

The Oxford English dictionary describes serendipity as "the faculty of making happy and unexpected discoveries by accident. Also, the fact or an instance of such a discovery."