Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Overactive Conscience

Sometimes I think I was born with a healthy sense of guilt.

If you ask my family, they will tell you I make lots of mistakes. But I am also the quickest person to say "I'm sorry." It's because I can't stand that feeling...you know, that feeling that I've done something wrong. And so I try desperately as fast as I can to fix it.

I've been in situations where I felt uncomfortable with something someone said, or something I saw in a movie, or whatever it was...and nobody else even noticed. Many times people have thought that I have an overactive conscience.

I've thought about it long and hard, and I really feel like I don't have an overactive conscience.
I came to the conclusion a few months ago that I had an effective conscience.

But...something seems to have happened.
Right now I should be feeling guilty for something that happened and something that I did recently. But I don't feel it...like I think I should feel it.

Some of you may be saying, "Oh good. Hopefully she's finally learned to let herself relax and enjoy life."

But this is something I should be feeling genuinely guilty about.

Where the heck is my conscience?!?

Whoever took it, please give it back. Wherever it is, please return to me.
Because I can't live without it. It's gotten me so far...and I really really can't survive without it now.

2 comments:

theriddle said...

what happened? I'm dying to know.

Laurel said...

i have a pretty effective one too. you can borrow mine if you'd like. I wouldn't mind going a day or two without it (grin)

Serendipity

The Oxford English dictionary describes serendipity as "the faculty of making happy and unexpected discoveries by accident. Also, the fact or an instance of such a discovery."